Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Is Everyone in the Bay Area a Tri-Athlete?

I didn't start this blog to rant and rave, but each time I am not sharing a video or pictures I feel like I have am ranting about something. Well...

The more time I spend in San Francisco, as opposed to the Peninsula and S. Bay, I find I run into a lot, and I mean A LOT of triathletes. Great right, what's the big deal? The big deal is these triathletes seem to view themselves and their Tri posse as above and better than the non-runners, cyclists, and swimmers of the world.

At times not being a triathlete almost feels like smoking in SF (I don't smoke, but I know how you San Fransicans are). You are immediately looked down upon and judged when someone finds out. This active judging is really starting to frustrate me, and I have no idea why judging is going on in the first place.

You, Mr. or Mrs. triathlete, are not showing me something amazing. In fact, tri-athletes perform three of the most basic "athletic" functions, just for a long amount of time.

Running: Over 99% of the population can do this

Cycling: To be kind I will say 90% of the population can do this; the other 10% are too young, still with training wheels, or too old

Swimming: Only the extremely skilled 75% of the population is up to this feat

Yes, I understand that a triathlon is an extreme test of endurance and it takes a lot of training and dedication. I totally appreciate that. I would also never do it. Training for the three most boring "sports" (not sure if I would consider running a sport) is not my cup of tee. BUT I could do it without issue. Give me two months to train and sign me up for finishing in the top 10% of any triathalon.

But really sign me up for surfing, where some balance and shifting of body weight, stamina, and paddling skills come in handy; along with knowledge of the ocean and the weather.

Or How about Soccer? I played Division 1 in college so I feel like I can somewhat call myself an athlete. Soccer takes extreme endurance, the ability to turn, sprint, stride, and avoid the opposition with the ball on your foot. There is also a very strategic, chess-like aspect to soccer (Americans are not aware of this).

I could write a laundry list of sports here, but I am sure you get the point.

And of all the amateur athletes who participate in athletic events and activities I find tri-athletes to be the most uppity about their achievements and prowess to train and participate in the three most basic "sports".

Keep doing what you're going triathletes, let's just work on being cool...

Oh, and one more thing. I don't need to know how many miles you ran, biked or swam the other day. You are training for a triathlon so it is obviously going to be a lot.


  1. I think I have all you need to irritate SF people.

    1. I'm Brazilian, so I can do things you can't even imagine, including to understand a soccer game and its rules.

    2. I smoke. Yes, sue me! (every time I am in California and I go outside for a smoke, I look beside me and there's a dog asking me if I poop on the carpet too. Or it's just me)

    3.I find cycling outfit kind of gay.


  2. You're just a little extra sensitive b/c all women really love their men to have shaved legs, even if they won't admit it in public, aren't you?

    Two months, top 10% of any race, huh? I'll take that bet, my friend. Shoot, I'll give you the whole calendar year to train if you want it. Just take your pick of races from: