Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Newest Thing in Chicken Wings

If you don't know (and likely wouldn't from this blog), I love chicken wings (oysters on the half shell are a close second).   In particular I am a fan of hot wings, usually cooking them at home and experimenting with different recipes and various sauces.

Somewhat recently I was introduced to an amazing recipe from Instructables where you steam your wings prior to baking, giving you the crispness on the outside without have to fry them.  The end product is pretty remarkable.  From there they give you a really good hot sauce recipe to put on the wings once they come out.

I have stuck with the steam and bake recipe for the last 10-12 batches of wings I have cooked, but have been experimenting with sauces.  Recently I was up in Truckee (Tahoe area) and came across Truckee style wings at the Blue Coyote.  Truckee style wings combine teriyaki sauce and hot sauce, making for a delicious wing.

Below are some pics at my first go with Truckee Wings using the Instructables recipe for steaming and baking the chicken wing prior to tossing them in the Truckee sauce.

First step is to steam the wings for 10 mins with the lid on.  The wings shouldn't be touching one another, so it takes a multiple rounds of steaming wings depending on how many pounds you have.  I had 2.5lbs of wings for this round and it took me about 5 or 6 rounds of steaming before I had all 2.5lbs finished.



After steaming the wings set them on a rack to let them cool down.  Once they are completely cooled down take a paper towl and get the moisture out of the wings from the steaming.


After you have steamed, cooled and dried your wings put them on a baking sheet throwing some salt and pepper across the wings.  From here you are going to heat the over up to 425 degrees and put the wings in for 20 minutes.  Next, take them out flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes.

Out comes some nice golden crispy salt and pepper wings.


When you have flipped the wings and on your second 20 minute baking get out your gear to make the sauce.  Here I combined a 1/2 cp of Frank's RedHot and a 1/2 cup of Veri Veri Teriyaki plus a few dashes of onion powder.


I then melted a stick of butter on low on the stove top. When the butter is completely melted combine in the sauce mixture and stir, mixing everything together.  Once blended pour the sauce into a bowl where you will toss the wings.  When the wings come out of the oven let them sit for 5 minutes or so and then add them into the bowl with the sauce, tossing them to make sure all of the wings are coated in sauce.


And then you have yourself a tasty plate of Truckee style wings!


I found that the teriyaki sauce dominated a little more than I would have liked.  If you want a little more heat in your wings I wold reduce the percentage of teriyaki sauce.  I would also consider throwing in some cayenne pepper or perhaps some dashes of hot sauce.

And of course bring out the celery, carrots and blue cheese dip.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like I gotta buy some teriyaki sauce now...durkees hot mustard, crystal hot sauce and butter. Simple and frickin tastey too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say how lovely it was meeting you last night!

    ReplyDelete