Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Social Media Problem - Intro

Recently my use of social media has been a frenzy of tweets, check-ins, buzzes, likes and shared items from all over the web, and I love how social my online experience is.

But I feel there is a problem with all of this.  The problem doesn't lie in how social the web is, the problem lies in my own understanding of what the social web, my social web, means to me.  What is the value of each individual piece and what is the sum total.

I began to think more about what I was doing, why I was doing it and where the most value was coming from in my social media use.  There is nothing that exists in its current form (a dashboard of sorts) to let me know this, there should be.  If I was an enterprise or brand living in this social media world I would be building one or demanding one be built.

In the meantime I am going to attempt to figure out my social media problem and this is the beginning of my quest.

My intention is to look at each piece of my social media individually, detailing my behavior, frequency of use and depth of my network.  Next I am going to start to tie together (hopefully graphically) my frequency of use and size of network to derive the value that each piece of social media produces for me.

If I can lay it out in a digestible way, I also want to explore how my messages are being pushed and pulled around the web from and into various social sites.  Now more than ever, I am seeing, pushing and consuming duplicate content across my social media usage.  As the web gets more personalized, I want to see a solution put in place that will eliminate this duplicity.

Follow along, we'll see how this shakes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment